Co-wrangler of Plutopia News Network, cohost Radio Free Plutopia. Digital culture maven, podcaster, writer, co-operator, enzyme.
I’m Jon Lebkowsky, and I’ve been on the Internet scene since the late 1980s. I was an early network activist, and early online business cofounder, an early dotcom employee, an early website developer, an early blogger, etc. I’ve been involved over the years with bOING bOING, FringeWare, Mondo 2000, Wired and HotWired, Whole Earth Review/Magazine/Catalog, the WELL, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and EFF-Austin, SXSW Interactive, Plutopia, Polycot Consulting and Polycot Associates.
This site was originally my blog, Weblogsky, and is loaded with old (but still interesting!) bits and pieces of my thinking and observations. I’m increasingly drawn to the Indie Web movement, aspiring to write longer form again, posting here and on the Plutopia News Network, a podcast and blog where I’m working with Scoop Sweeney, Maggie Duval, and Suzy Shelor to provide thoughtful, compelling content about culture, technology, media, and the future.
Other current projects…
- Cofounder of the Plutopia News Network. Cohost of Plutopia News Network Podcast, Radio Free Plutopia, and Plutopia Live.
- Cofounder, former President, and member of the Board of Directors of EFF-Austin, an organization that’s been supporting digital freedom in Texas since 1990. EFF-Austin was originally founded to become a chapter of the national Electronic Frontier Foundation, but when EFF decided not to have chapters, the already robust local organization continued as an ally of EFF, but with no formal connection.
- the WELL (as community host)
- FringeWare (as CEO and as publisher and sometimes editor of FringeWare Review)
- Whole Earth (as a writer, and as “Consciousness” subdomain editor for the Millennium Whole Earth Catalog)
- WorldChanging (as blogger and co-author of the Worldchanging Guide to the 21st Century)
- Viridian Design Movement (as website manager)
- Mondo 2000 (as a writer)
- Boing Boing (as writer and associate editor)
- Factsheet Five (as book review editor)
- the Austin Chronicle (as writer)
- Society of Participatory Medicine (as cofounder and former board member)
- Extreme Democracy (as co-editor)
- Wireless Future (as project manager)
- Digital Convergence Initiative (as former board member)
- Plutopia Productions (as cofounder and Chief Digital Officer)
- Polycot Consulting (as cofounder and CEO)
- Social Web Strategies (as cofounder and social media consultant)
There’s more information at Wikipedia.
“Folding the Fringes” – TeamHuman conversation with Doug Rushkoff: