I live-tweeted Bruce Sterling’s talk at SXSW Interactive. Here are the tweets… in reverse chronological order, so read ’em backwards.
- “Women of Italy, cast away all the cowards from your embraces.” SXSW looks like a new world because it’s got women in it.
- Closing with a Garibaldi quote. “I offer only hunger, thirst, forced marches, battle, and death.” And people went for that.
- This is an era of organized deception! Days of rage, baby. Be realistic, demand the impossible.
- “Move to Austin, take over the town!”
- You need to take power, millenials. I’ll vote for ya! You need a global youth movement.
- Boomers, shut up! What you should study now is collaborative consumption, technomadism.
- Young people are the victims of a decaying status qo.
- They pretend to govern, we pretend to obey.
- Who would save us from the BP? We’re incapable of rapid deciseve action, and the world demands that sometimes.
- What worries me is the response to things that take courage and virtuosity and passion to work out, like disaster response.
- Obese people in the US: “Imagine if the Statue of Liberty looked like that.” It brings out one’s inner Bill Hicks.
- Catholic Church borgia-like devil’s bargain with Berlusconi to get the legislation they want.
- Republicans: “a joke to anyone outside the range of Fox News.”
- People don’t want to throw Berlusconi out, because they fear some kind of economic upheaval.
- Talking about Berlusconi – he’s a head of state behaving like Hugh Hefner. This is a big deal in Italy.
- ExxonMobil are not the only political malefactors, they’re just the best connected.
- ExxonMobil is the personification of corporate evil. (applause)
- You cn do whatever you want to a microbe and no hippie will show up with a protest sign. Microbes are not in the Bible.
- Beautiful social network for synthetic biology: http://bit.ly/ei4Wja (expand)
- Craig Ventner was at SXSW because he’s trying to reframe 20c genetic engineeering as 21stc synthetic biology.
- In our society, we don’t have any passionate virtuosity.Our political situation is the opposite,disgusted incompetence.
- We’ve got a series of problems that are poorly recognized.
- Passionate virtuosity…. the ideas in Worldchanging 2.0 are passionate but lack virtuosity.
- Bruce Sterling shows Worldchanging 2.0 (the book) at sxsw.
- As a design critic, I criticize stuff that doesn’t exist yet.
- Polarizing brand management. Culture wars. Politics from POV of a design critic.
- All the political language has been rendered toxic.
- “There are people here who are younger than the event.”
- At Southby, science fiction authors talk like they know what’s going on.
One thought on “Bruce Sterling’s talk via live tweet”
Do you know when the video of his talk will be published. I’ll have to listen a few more times to really digest.
Comments are closed.